Romans Chapter 8 is the “Normal Christian Life!” This chapter informs the believer that union with Christ means potential victory over the indwelling “old sinful nature” (Law of Sin and Death … Romans 7).
It has been correctly said: “If Holy Scripture was a ring, and the Epistle to the Romans a precious stone, Chapter 8 would be the sparkling point of the jewel.”
I. THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT INTRODUCED: 8:1-14 (The Law of spiritually).
The emphasis is upon God’s provision for the believer to have fellowship with Him in time.
A. The prerequisite for fellowship: 8:1a (“no condemnation”)
B. The position for fellowship: 8:1b (“in Christ”)
C. The power for fellowship: 8:2a (“Free … Son con- demned in the flesh”)
D. The possibility for fellowship: 8:4 (“Righteousness ful- filled in us … who walk after the Spirit.”)
II. THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT IS HINDERED: 8:5-9a (By the flesh … i.e., the Law of Carnality)
A. Two persons contrasted: 8:5
- The Carnal Man: 8:5a
- The Spiritual Man: 8:5b
B. Two issues contrasted: 8:6-7
- Death: 8:6a, 7
- Life and Peace: 8:6b
C. Two Spheres contrasted: 8:8-9
- In the flesh: 8:8
- In the Spirit: 8:9
III. THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT IS LIFE: 8:9b-11
A. No life (unbeliever): 8:9b
B. Life (believer): 8:10
C. Immortality (believer)
IV. THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT OBLIGATES: 8:12-13
A. On the negative side: 12-13a
B. On the positive side: 13b
V. THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT MATURES: 8:14-25
A. By guiding the believer: 8:14
B. By assuring the believer: 8:15
C. By teaching the believer: 8:16-25
- That … believer is a child of God: 8:16
- That … believer is an heir of God: 8:17a
- That … believer is to have suffering now and future glory: 8:17b-25
VI. THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT ORIENTS THE BELIEVER TO SUFFERING: 8:17-39
A. The subject of suffering introduced: 8:17a-18
- Suffering is part of our “togetherness” with Christ.
a. Togetherness of Heirship: 8:17a
b. Togetherness of Suffering: 8:17b
c. Togetherness of Glorification: 8:18
2. Suffering and glorification go together: 8:17b
3. A proper attitude toward suffering developed: 8:18
a. Suffering is out of proportion to the glory.
b. Suffering is certain to be followed by glorification.
NOTE: “Paul’s conclusion and attitude toward suffering.”
(1) That when compared to our eternal glory … any suffering in time is bearable: cf., 2 Cor. 4:17.
(2) That we are to keep our eyes on the glory and not on the suffering: 8:20, 24-25—see “hope.”
(3) That God is in control: 8:20
(4) That God has a plan for our lives and nothing is going to frustrate or prevent it: 8:35-39.
(5) That all things work together for good: 8:19 -26.
B. Suffering is illustrated by the three groans: 8:19-26
- The groan of nature: 8:19-22
a. Nature’s eager longing: 8:19
b. Nature’s enslavement: 8:20
c. Nature’s deliverance: 8:21
d. Nature’s present groaning: 8:22
2. The groan of believers: 8:23-25
a. Believer’s present groaning: 8:23
b. Believer’s present hope: 8:24-25
3. The groan of the Holy Spirit: 8:26-27
C. The three mental attitudes of the believer in times of suffering: 8:28-29
- All things work together for good (future glory): 8:28-30
a. The plan of God stated in principle: 8:28
b.. The plan of God outlines: 8:29-30
NOTE: The plan of God is what gives birth to the attitude. The attitude is a response to the plan:
(1) Foreknowledge: God did the thinking.
(2) Predestination: God did the planning.
(3) Election: Every believer is in the plan of God.
(4) Justification: Every believer vindicated.
(5) Glorification: Every believer enters into Heaven.
- God is for us: 8:31-36, 38-39
a. He is our protector: 8:31b
b. He is our provider: 8:32
c. He is our justifier: 8:33
d. He is our advocate: 8:34; cf., 1 Jn. 2:1-2; Heb. 7:24
NOTE: The Believer’s Security …
(1) No grounds for condemnation
– Christ suffered the penalty!
(2) No law to condemn us:
– We are under Grace, not Law!
(3) No tribunal for judgment: (Seat for a Judge)
– Throne of Grace
(4) No judge to sentence us:
– the only Judge is our Justifier!
(5) He is our lover: 8:35-36, 38-39
– Out of this comes our third attitude.
3. His love protects us from every conceivable enemy!