1. The Apostle John warned that there would be many “antichrists” (1 Jn. 2:18-19; 4:3; 2 Jn. 1:7). However, the Apostle John seems to have in mind a specific person, who would arise to worldwide power during the Tribulation period, when he said “that Antichrist shall come” (1 Jn. 2:18, cf., Mt. 24:5:24; Jn. 5:43).
2. The Antichrist is a part of an unholy trinity just as Christ is a part of the Holy Trinity. The members of the counterfeit trinity are:
a). Satan, he imitates the works of God the Father (Rev. 12:9; 20:2);
b). Antichrist, he imitates the work of God the Son (Rev. 13:1; 19:20); and
c). The False Prophet, he imitates the work of God the Holy Spirit (Rev. 13:11; 19:20).
3. The Greek word “anti” can be translated to mean either instead of or against. That means that Antichrist is both against Christ and one who usurps Christ’s name and authority, offering himself to humanity instead of Christ.
4. Besides being called the Antichrist (1 Jn. 2:18), this evil person is also identified in Scripture by such names as :
a). King of Babylon (Isa. 14:4)
b). Lucifer (Isa. 14:12)
c). The Little Horn (Dan. 7:8; 8:9)
d). King of fierce countenance (Dan. 8:23)
e). The prince that shall come (Dan. 9:26)
f). The willful king (Dan. 11:36)
g). Man of sin (2 Thess. 2:3)
h). The son of perdition (2 Thess. 2:3)
i). Wicked one (2 Thess. 2:8)
j). The beast out of the sea (Rev. 13:1)
k). Rider of the white horse (Rev. 6:2)
l). Beast with seven heads, ten horns (Rev. 17:8-13).
5. The Antichrist’s career and conduct is appropriately described in 2 Thessalonians 2:4 as one “who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he, as god, sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is god.”
6. The major source of information concerning Antichrist’s career is found in the following Scriptures: (Ezek. 28:1:10; Dan. 7:7-8, 20-26; 8:23-25; 9:26-27; 11:36-45; 2 Thess. 2:3-10; Rev. 13:1-10 and 17:8-14).
7. Antichrist will appear during the last days of Israel’s history (Dan. 8:23).
8. Antichrist will not appear until after the departure of the Church (2 Thess. 2:3, 13).
9. Antichrist is a Gentile. He comes out of the Gentile “sea” (Rev. 13:1; 17:15).
10. Antichrist is a ruler of the people who destroyed Jerusalem in 70 A.D. (Dan. 9:26).
11. Antichrist is a worldwide dictator (Dan. 8:24; 11:36; Rev. 13:1, 8 ; 17:12).
12. Antichrist eliminates three other rulers in his rise to power (Dan. 7:8, 24).
13. Antichrist seizes control of the world through a gigantic peace program (Dan. 8:25).
14. Antichrist is such an intelligent and persuasive political personality that he is almost unanimously “drafted” into power (Ezek. 28:6; Dan. 7:8, 20; 8:23; Rev. 17:13).
15. Antichrist makes a peace treaty with Israel which lasts only 3 1/2 years (Dan. 9:27).
16. Antichrist sets himself up to be worshipped as God (Dan. 11:36-37; 2 Thess. 2:4, 11; Rev. 13:5).
17. Antichrist becomes the great persecutor of Israel (Dan. 7:21, 25; 8:24-25; Rev. 13:7).
18. Antichrist, who was apparently elevated to power by the help of the apostate church, in time tries to dominate him so he destroys this religious system (Rev. 17:3).
19. Antichrist is removed from power during the Battle of Armageddon by the Second Coming of Christ (Ezek. 28:6-10; Dan. 7:22, 26; 8:25; 9:27; 11:45; 2 Thess. 2:8; Rev. 19:19-20).
CHRIST AND ANTICHRIST COMPARED
The Antichrist is Scripturally contrasted to Jesus Christ in at least fifteen different ways.
- Christ came from above—John 6:38.
Antichrist ascends from the pit—Revelation 11:7.
- Christ came in His Father’s Name—John 5:43.
Antichrist came in his own name—John 5:43.
- Christ is the seed of the woman—Genesis 3:15.
Antichrist is the seed of the serpent—Genesis 3:15.
- Christ humbled Himself—Philippians 2:8.
Antichrist exalts himself—2 Thessalonians 2:4.
- Christ was despised—Isaiah 53:3; Luke 23:18.
Antichrist is admired—Revelation 13:3-4.
- Christ is exalted—Philippians 2:9.
Antichrist came down to Hell—Isaiah 14:14-15; Revelation 19:20.
- Christ came to do the Father’s will—John 6:38.
Antichrist came to do his own will—Daniel 11:36.
- Christ came to save—Luke 19:10.
Antichrist comes to destroy—Daniel 8:24.
- Christ is the Good Shepherd—John 10:4-15.
Antichrist is the Idol Shepherd—Zechariah 11:16-17.
- Christ is the True Vine—Jon 15:1.
Antichrist is the Vine of the Earth—Revelation 14:18.
11. Christ is the Truth—John 14:6.
Antichrist is the Lie—2 Thessalonians 2:11.
- Christ is the Holy One—Mark 1:24.
Antichrist is the Wicked One—2 Thessalonians 2:8.
- Christ is the Man of Sorrows—Isaiah 53:3.
Antichrist is the Man of Sin—2 Thessalonians 2:3.
- Christ is the Son of God—Luke 1:35.
Antichrist is the Son of Perdition—2 Thessalonians 2:3.
- Christ, “the Mystery of Godliness”
God manifested in the flesh—1 Timothy 3:16.
Antichrist, “the Mystery of Iniquity”
Will be Satan manifested in the flesh—2 Thessalonians 2:7.